We have repeatedly said that there is no magic solution neither a golden handbook to follow and guarantee high search engine rankings.
However, there are few factors that are considered as very important and also fundamental to the search engine optimization “techniques”. The main factors can be the age of the website, the domain name of the website, the content of the website, the coding of the website and the number of backlinks that the website has.
For those of you new to SEO, backlinks are links that are directed towards your website; also knows as Inbound links (IBL). The number of backlinks is an indication of the popularity and importance of that website. In this article, I will explain to you what a backlink is, why it is important, and few ways to help you gain backlinks for your website. I will also give you some tips to avoid getting into trouble with the Search Engines.
Backlinks are important for SEO because some search engines, especially Google, will give more credit to websites that have a good number of quality backlinks, and consider those websites more relevant than others in their results pages for a search query.
If your website is competing against other websites that have do NOT have many backlinks, then you can often achieve a good or even top placing just by getting the website content and coding right. If, however, the other websites HAVE got a lot of links, then you also need to build links to your website if you want a good position in the search engine results pages. This happens simply because by having many backlinks, it means people are voting for you! Consequently, when people search for a particular topic or content area that appears on your website, your site will be one of those that’ll appear on the first page of the search result.
You’re probably wondering, “Ok, where can I find these backlinks?”. Here are some tips for growing your backlinks:
1) Social Bookmarking sites: Assuming you have a blog and are regularly publishing quality content, then make sure you are syndicating the content to social bookmarking websites, such as:
# RedditThese social bookmarking websites have a very high PageRank and therefore any backlink from such websites is valuable.
2) Directories: It is good practice to submit your new website to multiple directories when you launch. If you haven’t, here are a few free one’s to consider:
3) Article marketing sites: Like social bookmarking websites, article marketing websites are a collection of articles or blogs about specific topics. Here are few:
4) Forums or important blogs: Posting and commenting on blogs and forums related to your industry and your website’s category/subject is very good regardless of whether or not you get a backlink. It is anopportunity to interact with your target market and eventually you can use this as a way to increase backlinks.
5) .gov or .edu sites: These websites typically have very high page ranks (6 or above) because of the quality of the content.
Finally, remember to avoid doing anything that appears shady. If you are contacted by a company that offers to increase your backlinks, just ignore it and have a glass of wine. Avoid all links farms and any blacklisted directory.