Top Hosting Forum

WebHosting Reviews Forum

Budget DirectAdmin hosting and domain names

How to securelly delete data on Linux server

Virtual Private Server Forum and Dedicated Server Forum - Discussion on dedicated server and VPS issues
Namecheap.com - Cheap domain name registration, renewal and transfers - Free SSL Certificates - Web Hosting

Hosting Forum Description
Virtual Private Server Forum and Dedicated Server Forum - Discussion on dedicated server and VPS issues

How to securelly delete data on Linux server

Postby hostingforum » Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:47 pm

WARNING: Before using any information in this article, backup your server data first, they can be accidentally deleted when using these commands mentioned below.

Hi,

i have just swithced to another server and i got an idea to delete data on my old server, but i want to do it securelly so no one can recover it. How to do It? I found saomething.

Go to your command line (shell) of your server and type: man shred
It will show you how to use shred command

To securelly delete whole hard disk partition, overwrite all data and replace by zeros, do:

shred -fuz /dev/sda2
(WARNING: once this is executed it is not asking you anything and start erasing and rewriting ALL the data on the harddisk partition of your server, its most probably unreversible so please dont do this command unless you want to delete all your server data unreversible)

to learn what is you partition name, do command: df

If you want to overwrite some file and then delete it, do this command: shred -fuvz yourfilename

-v parametter shows what is happening, i did not added it into partition delete because i was afraid too much data being shown

Ad: There You can have your forum site-wide banner/text ad for $99 yearly. Contact admin

hostingforum
Site Admin

Return to VPS & Dedicated Server Forum